Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Zing!

It's not my children's fault that I got less than 4 hours of sleep last night. It's not my husband's either.
I have been quite cranky all day, however, toward all those people who have no culpability for my insomnia.

So there I was, in the basement throwing clothes into the washing machine. Little Brother was at the top of the stairs, calling my name for what seemed to me to be no apparent reason. And in the middle of my very testy, crabby, downright uncharitable shout back to him, I had to stop in my tracks.
This is not his fault and I should not yell at him because I need a nap (or several more pots of coffee).
While I measured out the fabric softener I took a moment to ask God to help me soften my attitude, and I remembered the prayer we used to begin each class with at my Catholic elementary school.

Direct, we beseech Thee, O Lord, our actions by Thy holy inspiration; and carry them out by Thy gracious assistance, so that every prayer and work of ours may always begin from Thee, and by Thee be happily ended. Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

No comments: