Wednesday, July 06, 2005

My first meme!

I've been memed by epiphany for this Movie Buff Meme!

She may be sorry. I am SO movie-clueless it's pathetic!

Total Number of Films I Own on DVD/video

Not counting stuff I have taped during "HBO FREE PREVIEWS" 15 years ago, and INCLUDING stuff belonging to my children, about 160.

The Last Film I Bought

The Indiana Jones Trilogy as a Father's Day gift for Himself, at Big Brother's suggestion. He's a smart kid. He knows what his dad likes.

Five Films I Watch A Lot/Mean a Lot to Me

In no particular order:
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (with Gene Wilder). The dark humor, great music, and Oompa-Loompas as the voice of reason. There's so much that goes over the kids' heads. Do I want to see the remake? I'm not sure. But I promised Middle Sister that when she finishes reading the book I'll take her to see it.

The Wizard of Oz. This is the earliest movie I have a memory of. My grandmother had color TV and my parents didn't yet, so when I was 4 or so, and this movie was on TV, my grandmother took me overnight to her house so I could see the Emerald City in all its Technicolor glory. The Wicked Witch still scares me, even though I can tell how cheesy the special effects are. And what kid--or even adult--having a bad day, hasn't wanted to be Dorothy?

The Blues Brothers. How many cars did they wreck to make this movie? It's got a great soundtrack and I can quote half the dialogue. Best lines:
"Don't you blaspheme in HERE!"
"We're on a mission from God."
"We've got BOTH kinds--country AND western!"
"Illinois Nazis! I hate Illinois Nazis!"


Sister Act. I watch it for the "Girl Group" music and their take on "Salve Regina." The soundtrack is my favorite "get off your butt and clean the house" music.

The Birdcage. Himself hates this movie, so when he's not home I watch it and laugh myself silly. This is just a funny, funny movie. My favorite character is Hagador.

I just realized, all but one are musicals!


Pass it on:
Kelly
Danielle (make that Netflix membership come in handy!)
Jill

4 comments:

Jill said...

so now do i have to do a post like this??? so confused...

jill

biggest oompa loompa fan on this side of the mississippi

Jill said...

ok babs - can i link you in my site - under blogs i read...

jill

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Yes, Jill...now it's YOUR turn to do a post like this. Then you TAG someone else to do one!!
Sure, you can link my blog in your site. That would be great & I will link yours as well.
But PLEASE. Whatever you do...don't call me "Babs!"
Brings back some BAD high-school-type memories....shudder....

Rock Wren said...

Re: musicals. Did you ever go see Moulin Rouge when it was out?