Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Transitus....a tribute

One of our Secular Franciscans made her own Transitus last night. She passed away about 9 PM, just after we all finished praying our Transitus at chuch.

Because she was living in an assisted-living home during her time as an SFO, I did not know her very well. She was in my formation group, and reminded me very much of my grandmother (physically and spiritually). She was the aunt of one of our other SFOs, and we all called her "Aunt" as well. She contributed much to our formation meetings and was very well-read. She was happy to recommend and share her favorite spiritual books.

At my own profession (four years ago today) it was my privilege to sit next to this lovely lady. She was near 90 but sharp as a tack. However, she had trouble standing up once she was sitting, and I would help her up when she needed to stand, and walked beside her when we left the pew. It was like being at church with my grandmother, who shared the same first name with her, and who was a Franciscan Associate herself. They were both Irish and both very devoted to the Blessed Mother.

Three years ago, instead of praying at Transitus, I was at my grandmother's wake.

Last night our sister in Francis joined my grandmother in Heaven. I have no doubt that these two devout women are both there, and they're probably praying a rosary together.

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord,
And may perpetual light shine on her.
May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, though the mercy of God, rest in peace.

No comments: