Monday, February 20, 2006

Trusting in God

"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end, nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
"But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you, and I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know if I do this, you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it.
"Therefore, will I trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear for you are ever with me, and you will not leave me to face my perils alone."
Thomas Merton

A friend of mine shared this prayer with me today, and I thought it was too good to keep to myself.

If you would, please keep in prayer a friend of mine who is on an uncertain and difficult road, but who is there out of love. She's having a tough time right now, and it will probably only get tougher. May the Lord give her the strength and courage she will need--and the wisdom to ask for help from those around her who are very willing to give it.

And I'd like to pass along a prayer request from Amy's blog, for a little girl with kidney cancer. May God's healing hand be upon her.

1 comment:

Busy Mom said...

I had forgotten how much I like that Thomas Merton prayer. Thanks, I needed that tonight.