Monday, March 06, 2006

Book Review #6 of 2006

This time it's fascinating nonfiction: The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl



by Timothy Egan. This book chronicles the Dust Bowl years. My knowledge of this time in our nation's history had largely been limited to what I gleaned from reading Grapes of Wrath
Grapes of Wrath



. Egan's book drew on diaries, newspapers and other primary sources to discover what it was like immediately before and during the Dust Bowl.
It was a time in our country's history--not so long ago--during which many people lived in conditions that I can't even imagine. This book put a human face on the environmental and economic disaster that was the Dust Bowl.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I just added it to my wish list. Thanks for the recommendation!