Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Feast of Saint James the Greater

As a high school student, I read and reread a library book that I think was entitled Mount Joy, though I haven't been successful in verifying that. The story was about a teenage girl (I think a college student) who was interested in medieval studies, and won a scholarship. She used the money for an overseas trip so that she could make a pilgrimage to the Shrine of San Diego de Campostela in northern Spain.

It was an interesting story filled with travel trivia and the background of the cockleshell emblem associated with Saint James. This trip was not a religious one, but I bet that if I were able to locate and reread this book, I'd find that she did reap some spiritual benefits from her pilgrimage. Not like I need any more books, but I just may try to do that.

In the meantime I'll have to make do with the great info I found at Fisheaters about today's feast. H/T to Dappled Things for the link.




UPDATE: YES!! I found it! The author is Daisy Newman. If you can find a copy of this book, I do recommend it.

No comments: