Friday, August 25, 2006

Good Enough to Drink

We're leaving for a week's vacation tomorrow, so I'm doing the last-minute cooking NOW so I don't have to bring all the miscellaneous ingredients on vacation. I've got chicken drumsticks frozen in marinade, spaghetti sauce, a baked ziti, and taco meat already prepared.

The last thing I had to do was make the sauce for pork teriyaki. This is a recipe we tried a few weeks ago and everyone loved it. The best thing was, it's so easy!

Big Brother followed his nose into the kitchen where I was stirring the sauce. "Is that for lunch?" he begged.

"No, it's for vacation. We're having it Monday."

As he watched me hunt for the right-size container to transport the sauce, he threatened, "I think I'll just drink this with a straw."

Here's the recipe for pork teriyaki. I got the sauce recipe from a friend, and modified the cooking directions to use strips or cubes of pork rather than pork chops.

PORK TERIYAKI

Sauce:
1 tbl EACH cornstarch and cold water, mixed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbl orange juice
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and cook over LOW heat, stirring occasionally, until it bubbles. It will thicken up as it cools.
Pour half the sauce into the bottom of a heavy skillet. Add pork cubes or strips, and pour the rest of the sauce over the top. Stir to coat all the meat. Cover and cook about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally (cubes will take longer than strips). OR, bake in the oven, covered, for 25 minutes at 325.
Serve this with steamed brown rice and broccoli.

No comments: