Saturday, October 28, 2006

All RIGHTY Then...

Apparently I am less boring than I thought I was. So, in answer to your questions from the combox,

I appeared on Jeopardy! on October 31, 1995. I came in third, got a good many correct answers, but got the Final Jeopardy question wrong. To the eternal surprise of everyone who knows me, I answered a couple of sports questions, including one about football coach Mike Ditka that, to this day, I cannot explain why I knew. My "valuable prizes" were a set of really terrible videotapes. Most of them were given away.

When I was 9 years old, I saved someone's life. I was in Wildwood, NJ with my grandmother and her friends. The motel had a pool, and we spent more time poolside than at the beach. The only other child around was a good bit younger than me and we would play in the pool. I was pretty timid about water so I didn't get too far off the steps. He went down the steps and, I guess, kept going down. All I remember is one of my grandmother's friends saying to me, "I didn't know he was in trouble until I heard you say, 'Give me your hand! Give me your hand!'" Apparently no one was really watching us kids in the pool, and the little boy had gone under and wasn't coming up, so I grabbed his hand and pulled him out.

In high school at a school event, I won the costume prize for the cheapest and simplest costume I have ever made: the title deed to Boardwalk from the Monopoly game. I used poster boards to make the back and the front of the card.

So there you go.

Jean, do these count as 3 of the 5 "little known facts" about me? I hope they do. Here are my last 2:

I have been to exactly four football games in my life. All of them were Notre Dame games. 3 of them were against Navy. ONE OF THEM WAS TODAY! Go Irish!

I am very interested in architecture, especially houses, churches, small businesses and schools. I'm fascinated by the exterior details that used to be commonly included on even humble buildings, and I mourn the loss of that art. (Driving around in Camden, NJ and Baltimore, MD today got me thinking about that.)

No comments: