Sunday, October 08, 2006

On Marriage

Today at Mass we celebrated the renewal of vows of a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Surely it was no coincidence that today in the readings, we learned about God's plan for marriage. (I am firmly convinced that God does things like that ON PURPOSE.)

Our pastor gave a wonderful homily but his main point was this--and it is nothing I had ever heard before:
It is the calling of a married person to help his/her spouse become a saint.

I am called to help my husband become a saint! That is an awesome responsibility. Why did no one tell me about this 16 years ago? My job is to make sure he gets into heaven--and to do nothing, say nothing, think nothing that would stand in the way of that.

Then I was thinking--and Father didn't say this, but I thought it was a logical conclusion--that if my job is to help my husband become a saint, and his job is to help me become a saint, then it is also my job to let him help me become a saint. (And if I'm right about that last bit, I have a LOT of work to do.)

Better get busy.

No comments: