Wednesday, November 01, 2006

An Open Letter to the Wal-Mart Corporation

Mr. H. Lee Scott, Jr.
President, Director & CEO
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716-8611

Mr. Lee:

What has happened to the Wal-Mart I once knew? Your company always advertised itself as a “family store.” Everyone thought of Wal-Mart as a place where families could get what they needed and save some money in the process. My family has been shopping at Wal-Mart for years, for household necessities, medications, baby items, toys, stationery and clothing items.

Lately, though, I’ve heard some reports about Wal-Mart that have caused me enough concern that I have not shopped in a Wal-Mart or SAM’S Club since August. I will not shop in one of these stores again until the concerns have been addressed.

I care about where I spend my money. And I choose not to spend my money in stores that aggressively promote a pro-gay agenda, supporting the NGLCC; I choose not to spend my money in stores whose parent company donates to Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider. This is not what a “family store” does. This is not the action of a company that used to pull CDs off store shelves if they were deemed inappropriate.

Wal-Mart has sacrificed the good of families in favor of its own bottom line. What you have not considered is the loss of goodwill among people who believe that the pro-gay agenda is wrong, that the pro-abortion agenda is wrong, and are willing to vote with their wallets on such matters.

For the good of my family, I will not shop at Wal-Mart anymore, until these policies are changed.

For the good of my friends’ families, I will spread the word.

And I will continue to pray that the hearts of those who make such decisions about Wal-Mart will be changed, so that your company can once again be regarded as a “family store.” When that happens, please let me know, and I’ll be back.

H/T to Jean at Catholic Fire. This is going out in today's mail.

No comments: