Thursday, April 26, 2007

Book Review: Sanity Savers

I recently received a review copy of the book: Sanity Savers: Tips for Women to Live a Balanced Life, by Dr. Dale Vicky Atkins.

I love tips. I always rip out the "tip a day calendar" from women's magazines. I like to visit "Works for Me Wednesday" bloggers. Part of my volunteer work at Family Corner is gathering tips submitted by members, to be included in the site's newsletters. In short, when I grow up, I want to be Heloise.

So I was very excited to receive a whole book full of tips!

However, once I started reading, I was disappointed. I'm happy to read right through a tip book as if it's a novel. But this one isn't organized in a way that works for me. It has a page a day of tips that are connected within the topic of the day. So instead of having a chapter of cooking tips, then a chapter of parenting tips, then a chapter of healthy-living tips, you get a smattering of everything all at once. The idea behind this book is that each day, the reader will read ONE page of tips.

The part of the book I might get the most use of is the index. And flipping through that index just now, I found a reference for "abortion." Looking it up, I discovered that this book is written solely from a pro-abortion viewpoint. There are NO tips for "if you decide not to have an abortion" that would direct a reader to a crisis-pregnancy center. The section ends with the assurance to the reader: "You have a choice about what to do regarding your body and whether to have a baby."

Needless to say, the author's viewpoint on this issue is diametrically opposed to mine. I'm done with this book. I won't be sharing it with friends, and I won't recommend it to anyone who reads this blog. There are plenty of other sources of tips out there.

No comments: