Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Things to be Thankful For

Today is the feast of St. Maximilian Kolbe. Esther and Jean have done a wonderful job of discussing this fascinating modern saint.

One of my grandmothers had a special devotion to St. Maximilian Kolbe. In fact, I first heard of him from her. She had a nickname for everyone, it seemed--and she called him "Uncle Max."

Today I am thankful for St. Maximilian, for his example of perseverance and unselfishness, and his urging that through imitating the love of Mary, we can come to a deeper love of God. Part of that love is recognizing that God has given us many gifts, and being thankful for them.

Today I am thankful that we are all home again, all together. This has been a weird weekend. My parents took Middle Sister and Little Brother to their house on Saturday so TheDad and I could attend a wedding on Sunday. Big Brother stayed home alone. Yesterday he and I drove "up north" to pick the kids up. When we got home, TheDad was waiting for us. It just feels good to be all together again.

Today I am thankful for TheDad's easy attitude that he displayed Sunday when I realized that I had the Tiniest Black Purse on Earth and that it wouldn't fit my bare essentials: wallet, phone, keys, lipstick and asthma inhaler. "I have to run to Target," I informed him as I zipped out the door. When I came home and said, "I'm back," he called out, "It looks great" without even turning around to SEE the new purse.

Today I am thankful for kids who make me laugh. Last night in the car we had a lot of fun. Out of the clear blue sky we got announcements like, "I want a kazoo." (that was Big Brother)

Today I am thankful for sunshine, the sound of birds and cicadas, clotheslines, and the BOGO sale at Payless. And for all the other gifts, big and small, that God has given today.

No comments: