Monday, April 27, 2009

Preach the Gospel at All Times

...use words if necessary. (Francis of Assisi)

Those are great words to live by--but at the same time, hard words to live by. It means you have to really live by what you believe. No hypocrisy allowed. "Do as I say, because what I say really is what I do."

A fine example of living this way is Mary Ann Glendon, who has turned down Notre Dame's prestigious Laetare Medal award rather than take part in the media circus surrounding President Obama's honorary ND degree, and rather than be used by the ND administration as an appropriate foil to Obama's anti-life record in the Senate and in the Presidency.

She's got courage--and she stands up for what she believes in. As a Notre Dame alum, I thank her for that. And I hope that all who were dismayed by ND's invitation to the President to speak and receive a degree will be inspired by Mary Ann Glendon's refusal to share the stage with him.

No comments: