Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Power to the People

This evening as I laboriously covered Middle Sister's workbooks in contact paper (per her teachers' requirements) I received a phone call from some political survey. They had a captive audience in me at that moment.

I answered the usual questions like "if the election would be held tomorrow, would you vote for the incumbent or the challenger" in the race for governor of my state. I rated my trust level of the various candidates on certain issues on a scale from 0 to 100. For the record, nobody got 100 on anything.

And then I was asked a question that quite surprised me: had my labor union contacted me and encouraged me to vote for one candidate or the other?

"I'm a homemaker," I replied. "I don't belong to a labor union. And if I did, I wouldn't let their opinion of how I should vote influence my vote."

After I got off the phone, I started wondering what it would be like if homemakers did have a labor union. It's not like we get paid or anything (not in money, anyway.) What kind of circumstances or events would inspire the Homemakers' Union to stage a strike?

Interesting...

No comments: