Sunday, April 01, 2012

The Silver Lining

This weekend was the semi-annual Cub Scout Babka Sale.  It's a LOT of work, especially for Mr. Cubmaster, who drives all the way to Elizabeth (about 90 miles each way) to get the babka, then shuttles it between 2 churches to cover the 4 Masses for the weekend.

It was a whole lot of EXTRA work this weekend because of all the no-shows.  At two of the four Masses, Little Brother was the only Scout there.  Only one other Scout leader was there all weekend.  The pack didn't make much money this year, because we had 26 babka left over (usually we sell out, but people don't want to wait in line, so the key is to have lots of little salespeople to keep things moving.)

I got a distress call from TheDad (Mr. Cubmaster) at 8:30, telling me that no one else had shown up at the 8:00 Mass and that I needed to get over there to staff the tables.  After that, I headed over to the other church to help set up for the 10:00 Mass and sale.  On the way, I heard a new-to-me singer-songwriter on the radio, and he played what has become my New Favorite Song:



I just love it, and I hope you do too. This song says what music means to me. This is why I do what I do, regardless of the way things go in church-music politics. This Palm Sunday, I was reminded of why I am thankful to God--every day--for the gift of music in my life.

And if I hadn't been in the car shuttling between churches to get to a babka sale I wasn't supposed to staff, I would never have heard my New Favorite Song.

So I am thankful for that silver lining today!

No comments: