Thursday, May 31, 2012

No-Win

Last night before she went to bed, Middle Sister told me that she needed to wake up at 6 this morning. "I set my alarm, but come in and make sure I get up," she said. "Don't let me stay asleep. I HAVE to get up."

So at 6 this morning I knocked on her door and got a mumbled response. Opening it a crack, I reminded her that she wanted me to wake her at 6.

"I was up too late last night trying to get my mascara off," she replied sleepily.

"you told me to make sure you got up at 6," I said.

"No."

"You also told me not to take no for an answer."

"Well, I'm saying no," she shot back. At that point I figured that I'm going to lose either way, so I closed her door and went downstairs to enjoy my coffee before she gave me trouble for waking/not waking her--whichever she considered the greater offense at the time.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

My kids do that all the time! Oh they mean it at 11 pm when they are bright-eyed and bushy- tailed. My college boy #2 has early class every day. He always ignores my wake-up and then swears I never woke him. My parting shot now as I leave his room is, "I'm letting you sleep through class." I would never believed I'd say that. College boy #1 would have taken me up on it. #2 jumps right up.

Bean said...

Been there, done that :)
And, then if you ever forget to go in and wake them boy will you be in super duper trouble :)

Blessings,

Bean

forties@heart said...

Isn't it hard being a parent sometimes, you can never do anything right! xx