Monday, May 12, 2008

Evidently this was a punishment

When the phone rings, and the caller ID says it's the school nurse, I figure it's not going to be good.

This time it was Middle Sister asking me if she had left her lunchbox at home. The first place I looked was the steps, where I put all the full lunchboxes so that the kids can grab them as they leave. No lunchbox there.

Then I checked the kitchen. No lunchbox there.

Finally I wandered down to the family room where I found the lunchbox bear the television. I told her that I had it, and where it was.

"How did it get there," she wondered. "I didn't put it there."

"Well, you must have," I informed her. "I'll drop it off at school for you in a little while."

"OK," she replied.

"Thanks, Mom, you're awesome," I prompted.

"Uh, yeah, thanks, Mom, bye..."

"You're awesome," I said. (Yes, I fish for compliments from my kids when I find their stuff for them).

"I know I'm awesome," she said.

"Not you, ME! I'm awesome," I informed her.

"Uh, yeah, you're awesome, Mom. Bye!" I could hear someone laughing in the background.

If it weren't for the crummy lunch policy at this school I wouldn't rescue my kids when they forget their lunches. At their old schools, there was always peanut butter and jelly available for kids who forgot. Here, they get handed a juice and a pack of crackers. They will not entertain the idea of keeping sandwich fixings around--so if one of my kids forgets, I have to make a trip out there.

I figure the least she can do is tell me I'm awesome for doing that. If she's too cool to tell me I'm awesome in front of some classmate or the school nurse, too bad.

Her alternative is a pack of crackers and a juice.

No comments: