Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday's Finest

Gems from the Desk Drawer!

I have a habit of scribbling down (on whatever paper is handy) a line from the homily at Mass that particularly strikes me, so I can reflect upon it later.

Sometimes I wind up reflecting upon it much later, when that scrap of paper surfaces after who knows how long.

I found a few of those papers scattered among my desk drawers when I was cleaning the desk yesterday. So here they are, for your consideration:

Prophets remind us of the promises we have made.

Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God's grace. Your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

There is nothing Franciscan about depression, because depression involves a focus on the self.

Christians must not be sharp-tongued, cutting people to pieces, because that is of the Devil. He wants us to hurt each other.

And this last one came from reading the Summa Mamas blog a very long time ago (before I learned about using Bloglines and the handy "keep new" feature!) It's Pope Benedict XVI:

The ways of the Lord are not comfortable, but we were not created for comfort, but for greatness, for good.

No comments: