Monday, July 03, 2006

Trust Me

Little Brother's favorite new expression is "Trust me!" He sprinkles it indiscriminately through his conversations. "Mom, I like apple juice. TRUST ME!" I think he picked it up from Big Brother.

It's cute when he does it, but trust is a big thing with everyone, not just kids.

We all want to be trusted, and to show ourselves to be trustworthy. We want to be able to trust other people, especially people whom we love or who are in authority over us.

And today, on the Feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle, we remember that Jesus also told his apostles to "trust Me." We are all called to put our trust in God--even though we cannot see him.
"Do not let your heart be troubled;
trust in God, and trust in me.
In my Father's house are many rooms;
if not, I would have told you;
because I am going to prepare a place for you;
and if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again and welcome you to myself,
so that where I am you may be also.
And where I am going you know the way."
Thomas says to him, "Lord,
we don't know where you are going;
how can we know the way?"
Jesus says to him, "I am the way and the truth and life;
no one comes to the Father except through me.
If you had known me, you also would have known my Father.
From now on you know him and have seen him."
Philips says to him, "Lord, show us the Father,
and it is enough for us."
Jesus says to him, "So long have I been with you
and have you not known me, Philip?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father;
how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
Do you not believe that I am in the Father
and the Father is in me?
The sayings which I tell you I do not speak from myself;
but the Father living in me does his works.
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me;
or else believe because of the works themselves.
"Amen, amen, I tell you, whoever believes in me
the works which I do one also will do,
and one will do greater than these,
because I am going to the Father;
and whatever you ask for in my name, this I will do,
so that the Father may be glorified by the son.
If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it.
"If you love me, keep my commandments.
And I will ask the Father,
and he will give you another intermediary,
so that he may be with you forever, the spirit of truth,
which the world cannot accept,
because it neither sees it nor knows it;
you know it, because it stays with you and will be in you.
"I will not leave you orphans; I am coming to you.
A little while and the world no longer sees me,
but you see me, because I live and you will live.
On that day you will know that I am in the Father
and you are in me and I in you.
"Whoever has my commandments and keeps them,
that one is the one loving me;
and whoever loves me will be loved by my Father,
and I will love him and will reveal myself to him."
Judas (not Iscariot) says to him,
"Lord, but what has happened that you are
about to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?"
Jesus answered and said to him, "If someone loves me,
he will keep my word, and my Father will love him,
and we will come to him and make our home with him.
Whoever does not love me does not keep my words;
and the word which you hear is not mine
but the Father's who sent me.
"These things I have spoken to you remaining with you;
and the intermediary, the Holy Spirit
which the Father will send in my name,
that one will teach you everything
and remind you of everything I told you.
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you;
not as the world gives do I give to you.
Do not let your heart be troubled nor timid.
You heard that I told you,
"I will go away and I will return to you."
If you loved me,
you would be glad that I am going to the Father,
for the Father is greater than I.
"And now I have told you before it happens,
so that when it happens you may believe.
I will not speak much longer with you,
for the ruler of the world is coming;
and he has nothing on me,
but so that the world may know that I love the Father,
and as the Father commands, thus I do.
Rise, Let us go from here."

John 14:1-31

No comments: