Wednesday, December 09, 2009

A Different Kind of Advent

I'm preparing. But I'm not using this Advent as well as I should. I'm doing what's got to be done to make Christmas as it should be for my family. But I'm more focused on what's coming after Christmas.

Two weeks after Christmas, I will be having a hysterectomy. I'm looking forward to this--more so than I am to Christmas this year. I am looking forward to relief of symptoms that have been worsening for several years.

So I'm shopping, and wrapping, and ignoring the fact that we haven't even thought about Christmas cards yet, and making a list and checking it twice. But the list that I'm really dealing with is the one that includes the meals I can get prepared ahead of time, and the commitments I'll need to bail on for a while, and the household chores that someone else will have to do.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Barb,
I will be keeping you in my prayers. My lists and tasks have centered around my son's wedding. Now that he is married I can focus on getting ready for Christmas. Just remember we will celebrate the Incarnation whether or not we get lights, Christmas cards, baking, and gifts done.