Saturday, June 05, 2010

Orientation

Now that graduation's out of the way, Big Brother and I are heading over to LaSalle on Monday for orientation. Yes--this early. That's good, I guess; it will help me to get his shopping list together.

It's been a long time since I went to college--almost 30 years--yikes. And students' needs have changed in those 30 years. So if you have any kids in college or have recently been there yourself, what are some things he'll need--or need to ask about?

So far on my list to find out:
--what stores are in the shopping center across the street from campus? I know there's a branch of the bank that we use at home, so that makes cash-flow stuff easy. I think there's a drugstore, some sort of supermarket, and a few others.
--twin sheets, or twin XL?
--does his cell phone work in the college buildings? (Does anyone's? Do we need to switch providers?)
--what furniture is provided in each dorm room?
--does he need his own tp, cleaning supplies, etc?
--does he need his own printer for his laptop? Or are there school printers around for student use? If so, how does that work?
--what cooking items are allowed in the dorms? What ones are available for common use?

And I've got Barbara's pack-for-college list to work from, so that's a big help.

No comments: