Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Geographically Challenged

Little Brother saw a commercial for the Baseball Hall of Fame, and he begged me to take him there. Middle Sister saw that the Hall of Fame is located in New York, so she figured we could piggyback the trip to Cooperstown with a visit to a friend of hers.

"Is Cooperstown in, like, upstate?"

"Everything but New York City and Long Island is upstate," I told her. "I'll show you where Cooperstown is."

Google maps pinpointed the location, and I showed Middle Sister where the Hall of Fame is in relation to New York City. Then I asked her where her friend lives. "Oh, somewhere around here," she said, pointing to a random spot near Cooperstown. On the map, the words "NEW YORK" were spread across the center of the state.

"I can't remember the city," she mused, "but I know he's only, like, two letters away."

"That's why I want you to take that geography class before you graduate high school," I informed her.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Tee hee.
It reminds me of that old Calvin and Hobbes where they are flying in from outerspace, and Calvin says, "we live near the E in States"

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Mimi, too funny! I'd forgotten about that comic until now--you're so right. (But I dare not show that to Middle Sister. It would only encourage her!)

Maia said...

Hehe, this brought a chuckle to the end of my day. Start sending her out with a map when she leaves the house!