Tuesday, November 14, 2006

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

There's been a lot of talk about various stores that will or will not use the word "Christmas" in what is blatantly Christmas advertising.

I have nothing against "including all holidays." But as I said in the combox at Ian's site where this is being discussed,
I don’t mind so much when the stores say “holidays.” But I think the Dollar Tree commercial I saw yesterday sums up what really burns me. They say “holidays” and they decorate in green and they have red and green elves hamming it up in the ad. I’m fairly sure they’re not talking about EITHER Hannukah or Kwanzaa there. So don’t be so fake as to act like you’re “including” everyone else when it’s obvious that you really mean Christmas. I have other dollar store choices if I need to visit a dollar store.

We all have the power to decide where to spend our money. We vote with our wallets. I intend to vote with mine, AND to take a little time to let the establishments I patronize know that I appreciate their policies. That’s the part that really makes the difference.


What these shortsighted businesses don't realize is that they are profiting from Christmas in a BIG way. Would it kill them to acknowledge it?

Laura has links to the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, and to the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, both of which are posting a "Grinch List" of businesses, towns and others who refuse to acknowledge Christmas.

I've already thrown some of my business toward Kohl's, which will be using "Christmas" in its ads. And I've sent them an email thanking them for this, encouraging them to continue, and informing them that I'm a happy customer there.

I realize that sooner or later I might have to shop in one of the "Grinches" but I will do my best to make sure that most of my shopping is done in stores that aren't afraid to say the word "Christmas."

UPDATE: I got a nice reply back from Kohl's.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad that your recent experience with us at Kohls.com was a pleasant one. You can be assured that Kohl's recognizes Christmas as an important holiday. The spirit of Christmas is warmly embraced by Kohl's through "Merry Christmas" greetings from our associates, welcoming Christmas music that is played throughout our stores, and great seasonal gifts like those you will see in our upcoming advertisements. While we cannot share any specifics of our upcoming promotions with you, we are pleased to announce that the word Christmas will be predominantly featured in at least 6 of our sales flyers between mid-November and New Year’s Day.


DO take the time to let the stores you patronize know why you're there. Let them know that it's worth it to them to acknowledge the Reason for the Season!

No comments: