Saturday, August 06, 2005

Upheavals

I don't handle upheavals well. Just ask Big Daddy (who has objected to my use of the Irish convention of referring to him here as "Himself."). Anyway, Big Daddy wanted to upgrade my Office Suite software earlier this summer but was positive, based on prior experience with my reactions to operating-system upgrades, that I would not take it well.
He was wrong that time but 99% of the time I do not handle change gracefully.
In the past few days I have heard talk that my Big Kids' parish school is slated to close after June '06. By then Big Brother will have graduated, but Middle Sister and Little Brother would be affected--as would our entire family. We make our school part of our life. We chose to attend that parish because there was a school there--a good school, with wonderful teachers and a very Catholic atmosphere.
When Middle Sister was in kindergarten, we went through another upheaval at a neighboring parish and school. It was painful--still is--and we are not looking forward to starting all over again, only four years later.
I don't know how many more times I can invest myself in a parish and school when Catholic education is so low on the priority list of The Powers That Be.
When the school closes, once again I will feel homeless.
I think the AA Serenity Prayer may be the most appropriate one I can say just now:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: