Monday, February 11, 2008

My Girly Tomboy

Middle Sister's new green sweatpants will never be the same again.

This weekend, she and Boy Next Door spent some time on two afternoons, exploring a local creek. And when they explore, they don't just walk on the sidewalk. They get in the mud. They climb stuff. They stomp in puddles.

On Saturday, Middle Sister wore a pair of Big Brother's handmedown sweatpants (good choice!) But on Sunday, those were still wet and muddy, so she decided to make a fashion statement and wear her new sweatpants to the creek.

She and Boy Next Door came back two hours later, pretty chilly and very proud of the (empty) snapping-turtle shell they found, and full of stories of what they had seen and how they fed the ducks.

They came back really muddy too. In fact, she was so muddy from the knees down that I just threw her socks in the garbage. They weren't worth the effort.

The green sweatpants have soaked all morning in a bucket of Oxyclean, but I'm not expecting miracles. I might have to turn them into capris.

In the meantime, I rummaged through the handmedowns and found one last pair of Big Brother's old sweatpants. I left them on Middle Sister's bed. I should have done that a long time ago, I guess, but sometimes it doesn't occur to me that girls need to have a few "old grubbies" in their wardrobes too.

It has occurred to me, though, that I'm lucky to have a daughter who enjoys playing in the mud and looking for turtle shells with her friends--even if she does put on the purple eyeshadow, really thick, before she leaves.

No comments: