Wednesday, September 03, 2008

A Book Meme

How could I resist? I love books!

I was tagged by Esther for this meme. Obviously she knows that books are my weakness!

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?

There were always books around when I was growing up. Mom has always been an avid reader, and she took us to the library often. We loved attending "Story Hour" even when the librarian read The Story of Ping week after week after week after week.

What are some books you read as a child?

When we were preschoolers, Dad worked for Putnam publishing and got a lot of "seconds" (books sewn into their binding upside-down, or otherwise defective but usable books.) Some of these became favorites of mine, including anything by Wanda Gag (I love her artwork to this day) and Andrew Henry's Meadow, which my parents actually hid so they wouldn't have to read it to me anymore. When I learned to read, I branched out into series like the Bobbsey Twins, the Little House series, the Betsy-Tacy books, the Tuckers, Cherry Ames and a few Nancy Drew, though I wasn't a big fan of hers. And I loved Beverly Cleary and Pearl S. Buck's children's books.


What is your favorite genre?

For fiction, I love novels (not short stories) that take place in a locale familiar to me. For nonfiction, I enjoy cookbooks and books that deal in some way with human behavior (such as books involving marketing).

Do you have a favorite novel?

Oh yes. Just anyone who visits my blog regularly....okay...A Tree Grows in Brookyn by Betty Smith.
(I didn't even have to change this from Esther's answer! Obviously we share the same great taste in books. I discovered this book when I was about 12 and reread it regularly.)

Where do you usually read?

Anywhere I can. I have a comfy spot on the couch right near my desk, with a good lamp and a table for my coffee cup. There are about 15 books stacked there right now (2 piles!) What more could I want?

When do you usually read?

Several times a day but usually after lunch and before I fall asleep.
(recycling Esther's answer once again!)

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

Yes, of course, doesn't any bookworm worth their salt ;-)
(Great minds think alike, Esther!)

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?

Yes. I tend to devour fiction books; nonfiction books take me longer to read but I also don't tend to read them straight through. I might read part of them, put them down for days, weeks, months and then pick them up again and finish--or not. It takes a lot for me to abandon a novel even if I don't like it; I usually want to know how it turns out.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?

All of the above!

Do you keep most of the books you buy?

TheDad would say I keep way too many of the books I buy. But I can't help myself.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them?

The Little House books, Andrew Henry's Meadow, the Chronicles of Narnia, Wanda Gag's works, The Little House and Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel, McElligot's Pool by Dr. Seuss (another of my childhood favorites), and Beverly Cleary's works.

What are you reading now?

I'm "between books" at the moment but there are a few in my library bag waiting on me.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Yes, I do--in my PDA.

What’s next?

I haven't decided what to read next yet.

What books would you like to reread?

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Flannery O'Connor's works

Who are your favorite authors?

Betty Smith, Ann Tatlock, Flannery O'Connor, Marian Keyes, Charles Martin, Jon Hassler, Maeve Binchy, Suzanne Strempek Shea.

Tag: Barbara


No comments: