Thursday, February 12, 2009

Careful What You Say--and How You Say It

Last night I attended Back to School Night at Big Brother's school. They started a whole new set of classes at the end of January, so it was time to meet the teachers for these classes.

This semester Big Brother is taking Geography, among other things. This was chosen at my urging, because I believe that students today are not taught enough about geography, and I think that knowledge would serve him well.

And then the teacher launched into his list of what they would cover during the semester: map skills, physical geography, weather and climate, global warming (!) and "the dangers of overpopulation." And Big Brother attends a Catholic high school!

Glancing around the room quickly, I noticed that I wasn't the only parent surprised by this last topic. The teacher did backpedal a bit and stammer that China isn't dealing with overpopulation in a "morally licit" manner.

Well, that part was at least partly right. China is not dealing with its perceived population issues in a morally licit manner.

When I came home, I talked with Big Brother a little bit about what his teacher had said. He disagrees with the teacher on the global warming issue. I'm sure of that. But I think we'll be doing some researching and talking about the population issue before the teacher gets to that part of the lesson plan.

And I'll be doing some thinking and praying about how Big Brother can approach this issue in class, and how I can approach this topic with the teacher as well. The comments contained here will help, as will this essay.

And it is time to pray my favorite Franciscan prayer for guidance:
Most high, all-glorious, all-good God,
Bring light to the darkness of my heart.
Give me right faith, firm hope, and perfect charity,
With wisdom and insight, O Lord,
That I might always discern Your holy and true will.


Mother Teresa once observed, "How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers."

No comments: