Monday, February 02, 2009

Snaps for Keeping It To Myself

Having a meteorologist in the house, as well as my own cynical nature, takes the mystery out of Groundhog Day. (We both like the movie, though!)

But my Monday-morning routine includes helping out at the school library, and sometimes I get to read the story. Today was one of those times.

Naturally, we chose a Groundhog Day story: Go To Sleep, Groundhog! by Judy Cox, which is a really cute story. The first-graders loved it. The illustrations were as cute as the story.

Of course, I asked the kids if they knew whether the groundhog had seen his shadow, and if they knew when spring began. And I left the mystery-ruining stuff out of the discussion.

I did break it to Middle Sister this morning, though. She's 13 and getting more cynical by the day. I accept all blame for that.

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! Don't read any further if you want to keep the mystery alive.

Today is February 2. Spring begins on March 21. That's 6 weeks away, whether Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow or not.

(Personally, I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't, what with all the giant lights that come with all the TV cameras, and the camera flashes and all that.)

90% of the time, Phil sees his shadow. I guess in those other years, it's snowing or something, so that light pollution is somewhat muted.

No comments: