Sunday, February 06, 2011

A Bit of Wisdom

When I was growing up, we began every Saturday morning with a trip to my sister's allergist so she could get an allergy shot. That's a lot of time spent hanging out in waiting rooms reading Highlights for Children and waiting for my lollipop (Dr. Goldstein always let my sister take 3 lollipops after her shot--one for each of us.)

A framed poster with this poem hung in that waiting room. I guess it was there so the parents would have something to read. I remember reading it too. This morning, a friend of mine on Facebook posted it.

If I were Queen, I would decree that all parents receive a poster of this poem and be required to place it where they could read it regularly. There's a longer version, but this is the one I remember from my childhood.

Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte


If children live with criticism,
They learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility,
They learn to fight.
If children live with ridicule,
They learn to be shy.
If children live with shame,
They learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement,
They learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance,
They learn to be patient.
If children live with praise,
They learn to appreciate.
If children live with acceptance,
They learn to love.
If children live with approval,
They learn to like themselves.
If children live with honesty,
They learn truthfulness.
If children live with security,
They learn to have faith in themselves and others.
If children live with friendliness,
They learn the world is a nice place in which to live.

Copyright © 1972/1975 by Dorothy Law Nolte

1 comment:

Gombojav Tribe said...

"If children live with a scattered-brained parents they'll learn to leave their socks on the stairs."

It's my personal contribution to the poem. :-)

Seriously, though, this is a very good thing to read often!