Thursday, June 09, 2005

I Need Something Good to Read

Last night I started reading "The Last Pope" by David Osborn. It's fiction. I have my MA in English, so I think that at this point I can tell the difference between fact and fiction, and give in to the Willing Suspension of Disbelief, and all that.
I don't get a lot of time to read, ordinarily, and this afternoon just before dinner I made it to page 53. That is probably as far as I get in this book.
I can see where it's going. The hero of the book is a figure much like the "Joshua" of the late '80's and '90's, the Feel-Good Messiah who tells everyone that rules don't matter, you can do what you want and think what you want and still consider yourself a part of the Church, and so on.
Osborn seems to be a good writer, but I'm just not in the mood to read anything schismatic at this point.
Isn't there any good Catholic literature written after the 1950's?

3 comments:

Rock Wren said...

I hope you write a review for any good book you find... I'm actually looking forward to the new Harry Potter. :)

Jill said...

hi! stumbled upon your blog.. good stuff...

jill

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Thanks, Rock and Jill.
Yes, when I do find a good book I'll definitely review it here. Great idea.