Monday, October 10, 2005

Preach Always....If Necessary, Use Words

Philothea Rose has a post today that hits me where I live.

If I do not always set the example I should, and I do not always say the things I should either, then I am doing an injustice to others. I guess what it all boils down to is--am I doing my best to do these things? Or am I weighing whether it would be easier NOT to do these things? This is not to say that I should wear any little bit of holiness that I might have on my sleeve for all to admire--but that I certainly should not be afraid and hide that light under a bushel. It's not about doing the right thing for praise or recognition--it's about doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do.

Easier said than done. May God give us the grace to preach always.

I think Francis' Prayer Before the Cross is appropriate here:

Most high, all glorious, all-good God,
Bring light to the darkness of my heart.
Give me right faith, certain hope, and perfect charity,
With wisdom and insight, O Lord,
That I might always discern
Your holy and true will.

No comments: