Tuesday, March 09, 2010

It's the Little Things

On a day when I've been up since 3:30 AM (to take Big Brother to school at 4 for departure for his senior trip), it's the little things that will keep me sane, awake and reasonably happy until bedtime.

My whole family knows to stay away from me (far away) when I'm sleep-deprived and cranky. I tried to go back to sleep after I dropped my son off, but no such luck. So I figured I'd do my best to make the most of the rest of the day, in the hopes that I won't be sending the rest of my family running for the hills.

First of all, I said yes when TheDad asked if I wanted to hit the diner for breakfast. We had a nice time, too, just relaxing. I think we both needed that. And the poached eggs hit the spot. So did the (caffeinated) coffee.

I was home just in time to leave again for daily Mass. That's always a good thing.

Then I took myself for a long-overdue haircut. Last time I got a haircut it was December! I had the stylist try something new and so far I like it.

After that, I stopped at Panera for my favorite lunch of an asiago-cheese bagel with veggie cream cheese, and a caramel latte.

Maybe, if I can manage to get my work done early today, I'll squeeze in a nap before the school bus gets here.

But if I can't, and I'm so sleepy I can't be trusted around the stove at dinnertime, there's no fear. I found a pack of pre-seasoned taco meat in the freezer, so all I have to do is heat that up and add some tortillas, lettuce, salsa, and some boxed mac & cheese.

And if you want to hear what I sound like when I'm not sleep-deprived, I'm guesting on this week's Among Women podcast. Pat Gohn does a fabulous job hosting this podcast, and it was great talking with her.

No comments: