Saturday, April 19, 2008

Statistics: Green, Natural and Organic

I confess. I'm not a huge fan of the whole "go green" fad. I truly think it's a fad, and that it's only going to be popular as long as someone profits from it. And I don't believe all that hype about global warming and how it causes tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes.

That said, we do recycle, and I try not to waste things. I love to hang my clothes on the clothesline. But I consider that more "frugal" than "green" per se. I'm just trying to use resources wisely.

But I'm amused at all these statistics that are being rolled out on TV and in newspapers and magazines to encourage people to go green.

"If every American used just one less square of toilet paper per day, in a year that would be enough to save 60,000 acres of forest."

OK, I made that one up. You know what I mean, though.

Sometimes I think those statistics in the media are just made-up, too. Who figures this stuff out? And do all those stats really motivate anyone? Or could someone be using resources more wisely in that regard?

No comments: