Tuesday, January 05, 2010

The Sacrament of Comfort

This morning after Mass, I received the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick.

(Little Brother's a little jealous.)

With surgery scheduled for Friday morning, I was happy to be able to receive this sacrament. And not because of any superstitious or magical kind of reasons. I don't believe that receiving this sacrament is going to automatically ensure a good outcome.

But listening to the words of the prayers of the sacrament, I was reassured. These prayers were for forgiveness, comfort, relief of anxiety, and the grace needed to face what would be ahead--in addition to prayers for good physical health. It is indeed a very comforting sacrament to receive.

This psalm is not a part of the sacrament, but receiving the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick reminded me of the words of Psalm 23:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Barb, I was annointed before surgery a year ago, and found it a great comfort all along the path to recovery. There are deep graces in these sacraments of healing. I will keep you in prayer, now and in particular on Friday!

Sarah - Kala said...

I'm thankful that our Church has this sacrament. It's a comfort and a JOY! Prayers for you and a good outcome!

Aimee said...

Keeping you in my prayers, Barb!

Steve said...

"I don't believe that receiving this sacrament is going to automatically ensure a good outcome"

You know, two years ago I had surgery on my left shoulder for arthritis and a torn rotator cuff, and I had the Anointing of the Sick too.

I never even considered it as a "sure fire" way to make it safely thru surgery. It was strictly a comfort to know I had been prayed for, and that hands had been laid upon me, in case something bad happened. Isn't that funny?

Therese said...

I agree with Sara. I am so grateful for this sacrament.

Renee said...

When I received this Sacrament while awaiting a biopsy result, it felt like Holy Mother Church putting her hands on me, embracing me and comforting me, as any good mother would. Blessings to you!

Debbie said...

You are in our prayers...

for narnia said...

you're in my prayers, too! PEACE! ~tara t~

Rosemary said...

May you recover quickly and without complications and may the Lord's peace be upon you!

Jennifer said...

Prayers for a quick recovery.

A Secular Franciscan said...

I pray you will enjoy a quick recovery. God be with you.