Friday, September 14, 2007

The Food Police Go to Kindergarten

I just finished reading Julie D.'s post about the Food Police.

I'm feeling it here too. This afternoon Little Brother came home with a notice from his teacher reminding parents about lunchtime and snack time. In his full-day kindergarten, they have two snack times daily as well as lunchtime.

Here's a sampling of what Little Brother brings in his lunchbox:
Water bottle
Tuna "pocket" sandwich
Grapes (he likes a mix of red and green)
Mozzarella string cheese
2 graham crackers
2 banana mini-muffins (homemade)
fruit roll-up

Normally he eats all of that during the course of the day. And no, he's not a fat child. In fact, he's about in the 25th percentile for weight for his age and height.

So the kindergarten teacher sends home this note that says, "Please pack healthy snacks. The morning snack should be fruits (not fruit snacks), veggies, granola bars, yogurt, etc. Cakes and cookies are not a good idea for AM snack..."

Oh, for crying out loud, I thought as I read this note. And when I told Little Brother that there wouldn't be any more fruit roll-ups in the lunchbox, he did cry out loud.

I guess that the homemade banana mini-muffin (made with oatmeal, and applesauce instead of oil) wouldn't pass muster for morning snack either. They're good enough for morning snack at home. In fact, I'd let him have some along with his breakfast if he wanted them.

It really toasts my marshmallows that the school feels the need to police my child's lunchbox when I make a good effort to see that he has a reasonably healthy meal and snacks.

God save us from people who feel the need to save us from ourselves.

No comments: