Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's: The Day After

Yesterday it was the school principal's birthday. So the PTA decided to have a "surprise" dress-down day in her honor. All the kids could wear green IF they brought in $1.00, which was donated to the mission fund. So that was all good. I spent the entire morning in the school and saw maybe 3 kids who hadn't participated.

I have to say, green is a very nice and very peaceful color. Maybe they should change the school color to green! It was a lot of fun to see all the kids in their green. Some of them had funny sayings on their shirts; others had hats or pins or buttons along with their green t-shirts or sweatshirts. Normally on a dress-down day, the kids are a little extra rowdy. Yes, they behave better when wearing their uniforms--they really do. But yesterday I thought everyone was very good--maybe because they were all wearing the same color, which was "uniform" enough.

I had my fill of scones and Shamrock tea yesterday. (Note to Dad: I'm all out of Shamrock! Where did you get it?) But tonight we will eat the corned beef and cabbage. Granma always said that it's not Irish food, so in my own private rebellion, I refused to serve it yesterday. (We had pot roast. Not Irish either, but it never claimed to be.) My kids like corned beef, and it was on sale, so I wasn't going to pass up the chance for this meal.

No comments: