Saturday, August 19, 2006

Keeping Myself Awake

I guess this is the first in a long series of evenings spent trying to keep myself awake until one of the kids comes home.

Big Brother is 14. I am going to have a teenager in the house for the next 16 years. So I guess I'd better get used to it.

And YES, I'm normally in bed by 9:30. Late nights and me are NOT "perfect together."

But Daddy has gone fishing with his brother. He took Middle Sister with him, so she can have another sleepover with her Girl Cousins. I hope they don't stay out too late fishing at Sandy Hook, because it's going to rain on them soon. But he's a meteorologist, so he should be able to figure that out for himself, right?

And that left me and The Boys. But Big Brother already had plans to play Dungeons and Dragons with some of the other Boy Scouts. Luckily we were able to arrange a car pool (I dropped off; the other kid's dad will pick up) so I wouldn't have to drag a sleepy Little Brother out of his bed at 10 PM to pick them up. And (neener) I did get Little Brother to go to sleep quite quickly tonight! We stopped for a Slurpee on the way home--he got his Slurpee, I got my Sunday paper (love getting the Sunday paper on Saturday!). Then we watched "Josh and the Big Wall" which features Slurpees in a special role. After that, brush teeth, story, prayers, I turned on his radio and "went downstairs to get my book." I came back 5 minutes later to find him already asleep. I have the feeling that he doesn't deal well with silence. He falls asleep much faster with the radio on, quietly. Must be something about being the third kid. Someone else is usually making some noise.

Speaking of noise, our neighbors are having a really loud party. If my windows were open, I'd be really cranky right about now. If I had actual crystal in the china cabinet, instead of the extra plastic cups and the Equal we keep for company, it would be rattling around for sure.

If you're looking for something to do right now, you could visit Amy or Christine and get started on the Novena to Saint Monica that they both have up. This Novena is for the intention of bringing someone back to the Faith. Who better than Saint Monica, who prayed for YEARS for her son to return to the faith. Yes, that son--Saint Augustine.

If you're still in the praying mood, you can remember the twin sons of one of the other choir members at our church. They'll be baptized tomorrow. And while you're at it, the choir leader's husband just finished his cancer treatment. They have a son who's almost 2. Please pray for his continued recovery.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a little gift for the twins that needs to be wrapped before tomorrow. That should kill about 3 minutes.

No comments: