Friday, December 02, 2005

Worth Repeating

Paul at Thoughts of a Regular Guy has this prayer posted today:

Lord, thank you for this sink of dirty dishes; we have plenty of food to eat.

Thank you for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry; we have plenty of nice clothes to wear.

And I would like to thank you, Lord, for those unmade beds; they were so warm and comfortable last night. I know that many have no bed.

My thanks to you, Lord, for this bathroom, complete with all the splattered mirrors, soggy, grimy towels and dirty lavatory; they are so convenient.

Thank you for this finger-smudged refrigerator that needs defrosting so badly; It has served us faithfully for many years. It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers for two or three meals.

Thank you, Lord, for this oven that absolutely must be cleaned today. It has baked so many things over the years.

The whole family is grateful for that tall grass that needs mowing, the lawn that needs raking; we all enjoy the yard.

Thank you, Lord, even for that slamming screen door. My kids are healthy and able to run and play.

Lord, the presence of all these chores awaiting me says You have richly blessed my family. I shall do them cheerfully and I shall do them gratefully.


This prayer aired on Relevant Radio on the morning show, 12.02.2005, in the "Glen's Story Corner" segment.

On days like today, when for some inexplicable reason I am feeling kind of over-Mom-whelmed, I need something like this to keep my perspective. Perfect timing, Paul. I'd tip my hat to you, but it's covering up the evidence of a Bad Hair Day.

3 comments:

Jill said...

that's great... i love that - it's all about gratitude - something i forget to list.. so thanks!

Steve said...

Barb,
How utterly Franciscan of a message! ;-) You realize of course, that I have to steal this from you (and give credit where credit is due of course).

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Please be sure to credit Relevant Radio, where I heard this on "Glen's Story Corner" during the morning show of 12/2/05.

Thanks for the link!