Sunday, February 26, 2006

Great Wedding Homily

Yesterday Big Daddy and I attended the wedding of one of his younger cousins. The first time I met her she was about 7--I can't believe she is old enough to be married already!

At the wedding, the homily centered on God's love. Some of the highlights (although Father did a great job of weaving all these points together, I can't duplicate it):
  • God created everything out of nothing, because of love.
  • God came to earth as a baby, into a human family--which demonstrates how important the relationship of the married man and woman is.
  • Since "God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him..." and being in Heaven is being in the presence of God, then Heaven is all about love. And since marriage is about love, then it gives us a preview of what Heaven can be, if we keep in mind what love is ("Love is patient and kind....")
I think this is the first time I have attended a wedding and actually remembered the homily--and the first time that the homily hasn't been directed only toward the couple or particularly about them.

Today I will keep in prayer the newly married couple, that they have a long, happy life of love together.

No comments: