Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Table Manners, in a Manner of Speaking

Little Brother needed to be reminded tonight that meat and corn are not finger foods.

Fortunately he had helped set the table, and given spoons to each of us, despite the fact that we weren't eating anything requiring the use of a spoon. Since I'm not running a four-star restaurant, I don't place extra utensils on the table (more work for me later, you know).

"Little Brother, try using your spoon to eat your corn," I reminded him. "It's easier with a spoon than a fork."

He took the spoon in his left hand and the fork in his right, and coming at the plate from the two different directions, he scooped up some corn, speared meat on the fork, and shoved both utensils into his mouth at once.

Big Brother was impressed. "Is he ambidextrous? I would be seriously jealous if my little brother is ambidextrous!"

I was too astounded to scold him, because after all, he WAS using his utensils....as my sister always says, "It's what separates us from the animals."

No comments: