Monday, November 19, 2007

Errands, Errands Everywhere...

A long time ago I read a few books by the "Sidetracked Home Executives." One of their suggestions, in making a weekly routine for homemaking, was to designate an Errand Day.

That never worked for me when any of the kids were small (which means, continuously for the past 15 years). The kids couldn't handle spending that much time doing all the weekly errands at once. But now that everyone's in school, I thought that today would be a good time to try this concept. My rationale was that I didn't want to be anywhere near a supermarket or post office any later in the week, so I should get everything done today.

I left the house at 8:40 AM and went straight to the Catholic Grade School where I volunteered in the library for 2 hours. Then, the store to pick up a few things for the kindergarten Thanksgiving party. Then, daily Mass. Then I took a break and used a coupon for a free sandwich at Chick-Fil-A so I wouldn't be grocery shopping on an empty stomach. And then, on to the grocery store.

I'm not sure what circle of Hell I descended when I went into the store, after circling the lot to find a parking space and a fruitless search for a dry cart. It was like Amateur Night in there. All the people who don't know where anything is in the grocery store were in there, all at once, leaving carts scattered all over and driving up the back of my heels as I rushed from aisle to aisle. Thankfully, I had my list organized according to the store layout (a survival skill I developed when Middle Sister was little) and I didn't need any of the traditional Turkey Day Essentials.

After the supermarket, I went home to put away the frozen and refrigerated stuff and to find the papers authorizing Middle Sister to play CYO basketball on Sundays for the next few months. I had to have them notarized and handed in, with a $75 check, last week. (oops!) Then it was off to the municipal building to show off my horrible driver's license photo and prove that since I can spell my last name, I must be me. I stopped at the post office to mail a package and buy Christmas stamps (Madonna and Child stamps are lovely this year, as usual!) and then it was off to Target to get birthday gifts for my niece and nephew and snow pants for my younger two kids, for the one or two times a year it snows when you live this close to the equator. The birthday kids got books, since I am leery of buying toys right now, and both kids got black boys' snow pants for ease of hand-me-downs.

And then I came home, and did some laundry, changed my shoes, and put on some (decaffeinated) coffee.

I like errands, but not all at once. I really like spending a bigger hunk of the day at home, and having one or two errands to do on any given day. Sorry, Sidetracked Home Executives. Errand Day is not for me.


No comments: