Sunday, November 18, 2007

My Rant on the Toy Recall

There was an article in my paper yesterday. Maybe it was also in yours. "Poor toy industry. These recalls are happening at the worst time."

I don't feel sorry for them. And I'd be even more outraged if this happened AFTER Christmas when children are loaded up with new toys and maybe have done damage to themselves by playing with these tainted items.

Worst time for the industry, maybe. But BEST time for parents, in my opinion. This way we have time to be cautious before we buy, instead of worrying about it later and having to take a treasured new toy away from a confused child.

The toy industry needs to look into its production and quality control procedures to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again. It's not enough to remove items from the shelves. Make sure the bad ones don't get there in the first place.

Right now, I don't have much faith in their ability to do that. I feel that safety is second to their bottom line, and that only when safety concerns affect their bottom line will they address those concerns.

No comments: