Sunday, March 16, 2008

Expanding My Vocabulary

When I was in high school I had to take a weekly "vocabulary" class for 3 1/2 years. It was designed to help students improve their verbal SAT scores. I learned many words during those years, some of which have stuck with me.

I did not learn the word "sheroes."

Evidently it's a word now. I first saw it on a sign in front of the local Montessori school, honoring our "heroes and sheroes" serving in the military. And this morning, the all-news radio station aired a story about local "sheroes" and how they will be honored at the National Liberty Museum. Then I googled it and discovered that it's a very commonly-used term, at least among a certain crowd (probably the same people who push for Inclusive Language at church).

And all this time, I thought there already was a feminine form of "hero"--heroine. Silly me!

No comments: