Friday, June 29, 2007

Learning from the Kids


Sometimes our kids set a better example than we do. And it's up to us to learn from that, and to appreciate the gift of their good example as much as we would appreciate the good example of some adult we know and respect.

Last weekend Middle Sister went to a birthday party for her friend. Since it was a swim party, she wore her fake "Crocs." Yes, she has fake ones. So do I and Little Brother. I'm not about to pay upwards of $35 for plastic shoes when I can get knockoffs for $15 or less.

Anyway, on the way home from the party she mentioned that one of the girls there told her, "You're not wearing real Crocs."

Middle Sister's answer was: "So what? I like these."

After she told me about it, and we had a short conversation about that kind of thing being rude, she was done with it. She let it go. She likes her shoes and she's happy with them.

I've been hanging onto this little episode for almost a week, letting the irritation fester inside me.

I think this is one of those times when I need to try to be more like my kid.

No comments: