Tuesday, July 24, 2007

FAB-LEE-OUS

Or, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Today for our lunch I made French toast using "Texas Toast" bread. We added "special sugar" (confectioners sugar) on top for that Jersey Diner touch. Oh, it was yummy. The kids were happy, and Little Brother told me that I make "fab-lee-ous" French toast. The other kids agreed.

Just now I read an article that Julie D. highlighted in her recipe blog. The title: Is Cooking for Your Family Retrograde June Cleaver Nonsense?


Just because I wear my fab-lee-ous apron when I cook for my family doesn't make me June Cleaver. For one thing, the pearls and heels are JUST not me. My taste runs more toward capri pants and Keds.

I cook for my family because:
I enjoy cooking.
My family enjoys eating.
It's good for my family to eat wholesome, home-cooked food rather than nutritionally-deficient fast food.
It's good for my family's budget to eat at home.
Eating meals together is good for the family.

Sometimes it seems that people who don't respect some women's choice to nurture their families in their homes believe that the kind of work we do in order to nurture our families in our homes has no value.

I disagree. There's no work with a higher value. And frankly, some parts of the work I do are things you could never pay me for. Good thing I have Little Brother to help me clean the toilets. Ick. This work is what we do for love, and there's no price to be put on it.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get a few things together to start our dinner for tonight.

No comments: