Thursday, March 23, 2006

Continuing on the Nonfiction Kick

My latest read is more nonfiction: Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads: Coping with the Parents, Teachers, Coaches, and Counselors Who Can Rule--or Ruin --Your Child's Life
Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads: Coping with the Parents, Teachers, Coaches, and Counselors Who Can Rule--or Ruin --Your Child's Life



by Rosalind Wiseman. I'm actually reading her work out of order, which may hamper me a bit in my understanding of this book, but this is the one I came upon first. Basically it deals with the personality conflicts and social pecking order among parents and how that affects their children in school, sports, and other social activities. The parts about personality are fascinating and very true; solutions to the problem, I don't think, are as cut-and-dried as Wiseman makes them out to be, however. It seems to me that a lot of these power structures and pecking orders are so entrenched that there aren't any easy ways around that. I found the "cracking the code" sections much more helpful than anything--it gave a guide to interpretation of certain things people might say or do. Unfortunately, though, most of the ones who hold the power are not going to be the ones reading the book; they won't see a problem because to them, there isn't one.

Wiseman's first book is also in my to-read pile: Queen Bees & Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends & Other Realities of Adolescence
Queen Bees & Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends & Other Realities of Adolescence

No comments: