Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lent

Last night I was thinking about Lent, and what I could try to do this year and what I could encourage my kids to do, and I remembered this song from my childhood. This used to be part of the homemade hymnal at Our Lady of the Flower Children:

Less of me

Let me be a little kinder, let me be a little blinder
To the faults of those about me, let me praise a little more
Let me be when I am weary just a little bit more cheery
Think a little more of others and little less of me

Let me be a little braver when temptations let me waver
Let me strive a little harder to be all that I should be
Let me be a little meeker with a brother that is weaker
Let me think more of my neighbors and a little less of me

Let me be when I am weary just a little bit more cheery
Let me serve a little better those that I am striving for
Let me be a little meeker to a brother that is weaker
Think a little more of others and a little less of me

I'm not sure of the composer but I think it might be Glen Campbell.

Regardless of who wrote it, it's a good reminder of what we all can do for Lent. I can't help but think that the memory of this song was a gift--a reminder from the Lord of what I can and should be doing.

The other day I read a very worthwhile post in Steven Riddle's blog that compares Lent and New Year's resolutions. Take a look--it's well worth the time and thought.

May this season of Lent be a blessed one.

No comments: