Friday, March 02, 2007

Here's one of my favorite things to do



This is the cake for Little Brother's birthday party. We're celebrating tomorrow.

Over the years I have made many birthday cakes for my kids. This is the most important party detail, in my mind. Never mind that I haven't swept the floor yet, and the food's not prepared. This afternoon, it was all about getting the cake done.

Decorating cakes is very relaxing for me. I have to work slowly and concentrate. There can be no hurrying. This cake took a good deal of advance planning since I had to figure out many details (and visit five stores before scoring the plastic airplanes!) But once I got that gray icing mixed, I was ready to go, and I just kept going until it was done. I love the slow, deliberate work, which is generally against my hurry-up, Type A nature. And I love the feeling of accomplishment when the cake is finished and the kids come running into the kitchen to see how it looks.

No comments: