Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Halloween/All Saints Day Meme

Jean at Catholic Fire has tagged me for this meme. I must admit that I am having a rough time with it, which is why it has taken me a few days to answer these questions.

1. If you were invited to a Halloween/ All Saints Day Costume Party, which saint would you dress up as and why? (The Blessed Virgin Mary,the Mother of God, is not an option.)

I can't say that I have a lot of deep knowledge about the saints. I wanted to dress up as a saint who is a parent, specifically a mother. And then I remembered Saint Anne! Besides the fact that my middle name is Ann, I have another reason by wanting to emulate this saint. As a mother, I become more aware each day that I never know what my children will grow up to become. I'm sure Saint Anne knew that her daughter was special--but did not know just how special! Similarly, none of us mothers know what God has in store for our children. But it is our calling to raise them to be the most loving, kind, generous, faithful people they can be, so they will respond to whatever God calls them to become.

2. Which saint or other person would accompany you to the party?

My husband, Saint Joachim, and my daughter Mary.

3. What famous quote would help others identify you?
I don't know one.

4. Describe your costume.

I would wear a robe similar to the types of robes the Blessed Mother is depicted wearing, in any works of religious art. A veil to cover my hair, and I guess I'd have to leave my glasses behind, which could make driving to the party kind of interesting. Here's a picture of a statue of Saint Anne at the beautiful shrine in her honor in Massachusetts.

When our family visited this shrine over a year ago (my husband's uncle was a member of the parish there, and last July he passed away and was buried there) Little Brother was intrigued by the statues of Saint Anne with the Blessed Mother. He said that Saint Anne was "telling stories" to Mary. I imagine she did a good amount of that during her lifetime!

5. Which movie or film best depicts the life of this saint?
I haven't heard of any.

6. What is your favorite book written about this saint or that he or she has written? There's none that I know of.

No comments: