Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dream Kitchen

Last night I had a really strange dream. In it, we moved to some really old house somewhere. I don't remember too many details about the house itself (other than that it was really big, really old, and I think the roof was a little leaky) but I can remember the kitchen clear as day. I could probably even draw a diagram of it!

First of all, the kitchen was enormous. It was easily the size of my living room and dining room, plus a little extra! Probably it had once been two rooms because there was a little section in the middle of the room where the walls "came in" a little. It had high ceilings (probably 12-foot) and the walls were all white tile with black trim. There was a white vintage gas stove and room for both my refrigerators as well as my upright freezer!

In my dream, we had purchased the home from the estate of an older woman who had lived there alone. She must have been quite the gardener, because taking up about four linear feet of wall space was a large display of vegetable and herb seeds. She had the packets all sorted out, as well as some seeds she was drying from her own harvest.

Many kitchen tools and a worktable were still in the kitchen and, along with the seeds, were ours to use. Of course, in my dream I am just as bad a gardener as I am in real life, so I knew those seeds would go to waste!

Down at the end of the room was an ancient board with coat pegs. I'm wondering if that was actually designed to hold servants' coats. I planned on using it to hang my apron collection and maybe some spare oven mitts.

Often, I dream of places where I have already been--but not in this case. I can't remember ever having been in a kitchen like this. TheDad says that maybe I was dreaming of our future home.

Who cares what the rest of the place looked like? The kitchen was awesome!

No comments: